Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Impending Doom

It's coming. I like to help out in the ward where I can and so I agreed to help out with a ward activity. The idea was that 4-5 couples would show up at somebody's house and I'd show them how to make some basic sushi rolls. No problem. I have enough equipment to turn out enough rice to turn out 8-10 rolls in one go, which would be enough for people to get a demonstration and try their hand at it. Those 4-5 couples are up to 26+ and it's going to be at the church. With sushi, timing and moisture content are everything. The timing and logistics of making 50+ rolls at a time in a foreign and unstocked environment is more than 4-5 times more complex - it's more like an exponential function. I'm going to crash and burn, but I'm already on the hook. I predict sweating, nervous banter, snapiness (if you've helped with a luau, you've taken more than one pointed instruction), and several instances of profanity. I have a feeling I'll be off the hook from now on.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Can non-ward members sneek in? If so, make that 27+.

Aaron said...

I mean "sneak." Sorry, I'm self conscious about my spelling.

KanyonKris said...

Way to find the silver lining.

Yeah, that's nuts to do that much sushi. We make sushi at home and that's barely manageable (we still get dry rice and other issues). We've has sushi night with another family a few times and that's been fun, but I can't imagine doing 26.

I wish you well, but agree with your prediction of possible doom.

Morkthefied said...

I got a call from a lady this morning saying how excited she was to go to the activity. She's taken the sushi class from the old Ichabon in Salt Lake City. I'm thinking we should get you a headset to talk in, and maybe you should work out a comic routine on top of making the sushi to entertain as well. Seriously, you'll do great. It will be the talk of the town for years to come.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

ln 1 = 0