Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Special Needs

Last night I attended my first master's swim class at the AF Rec Center. I figured it was a cheap way to get some coaching - which would hopefully keep me motivated and help improve my form. After all, it's only 25 bucks per month - you read right - per month. The tri-geek in me has justified much larger outlays that even at their best had questionable benefits. So, I finally dragged myself to the pool, overcoming my self-consciousness and just getting to it. There were three groups swimming - a group of collegiate level swimmers (I know because one of the girls just finished at BYU, where she was on the team), a group of intermediates, and all the rest. At first, the coach put me in the slow lane. Where I belonged. After we warmed up he moved me to the middle lane. At first, I thought it was because he thought I was fast enough to hang with them. Not so much. He put me there because there was no chance of me screwing up the swim order with the other two swimmers in my lane, especially since we were only swimming fifties. 30 of them. Hard. It was awful. I felt like that guy who showed up to a group road ride on a mountain bike. You know the guy. And like the fellow on fat tires with a flapping T-shirt and a bottle of root beer in his cage, I suffered mightily just to keep up. I made all the splits within the times, but not without pain. And then, to keep things interesting, after 2000+ yards of high effort swimming (not fast, just painful), we did a 100 yard test swim. Nice. One of the guys there wearing baggy board shorts swam the same time I did. He complimented me on a nice job and then asked why, since I was the new guy, I decided to start the class. I told him that the swim is my weakest portion and the one I could really only get better at with some help. After asking with amazement if I did triathlons, he commented that I was doing pretty well, for a first timer. Yeah, thanks. Now I'm getting my ass kicked by the guy on the mountain bike as well. The next step is to get humbled by an old guy on an adult-sized trike. Perfect.

3 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Don't let your ego get backed into a corner - that fight or flight instinct may cause you to say or do something you'll regret. Humility aint easy.

dug said...

i feel your pain, but more acutely than you yourself feel it. at least you CAN swim.

http://suncrestdug.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/i-guess-i-could-be-crazy/

dug

Sabrosa Cycles said...

Far worse than the feller that shows up to the local road ride on his squishy bike and fun run t-shirt is the feller that shows up on a $8000 road bicycle and can't figure out how to trim his front derailer (yes, I spelled that derailer. Please refer to this:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html). My acute hearing can spot the non-trimmed front derailer from miles away and my mind instinctively points me in the opposite direction. Somehow - this is the same guy that screams "hold your line" through corners as he rolls through it with his inside pedal in the 6:00 position.
At least your derailer wasn't rubbing.