Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Latest Perseveration

From time to time, I find myself getting hung up on insigificant details. Nowadays, I know that it's irrational. However, that doesn't stop me from getting hung up and fixating on the thing in question until I get it resolved. For example, once in high school I went with some friends on a one day shopping trip to a nearby town. On the way back I spilled grape juice on my favorite shirt. For some reason, I got it in my head that I needed to wash it immediately. I insisted to the point that we stopped halfway back and washed the shirt. This in spite of the fact that a girl I was sweet on was in the car and thought I was nuts. I know I've got issues - I'm trying to work through them. Last night I found myself hung up on my shoe situation for this weekend. Long ago, I chose my gear setup and had planned to stick with it. Then, last night I couldn't remember how long I've had the shoes I had planned to use. I set about to find out by tracking receipts. No luck. I decided I needed shoes whose cushioning I could not question. New shoes just like the ones I have now were the answer. I felt like I needed to get those shoes last night. So I called around and found that a spot in Sandy had some. We loaded up the kids and drove up there, arriving ten minutes before the closed. The thing is, I could have just as easily waited until today to pick them up. Yup, I'm kind of a psycho.

5 comments:

KanyonKris said...

He who is without the sin of occasional obsession, let him cast the first stone. Not me.

BTW, is perseveration/perserevating a real word? Or is it from the George W. Bush dictionary (which will surely be in his presidential library)?

Mr. Flynn said...

whatever it takes to get your mind off of the stress of the event works. If that is trying to get the shoes of your dreams so be it. Just keep that stress level low.

I do similar things before a big event.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Judge Wapner.

Fish said...

Perseveration:
1. the act or process of perseverating.
2. Psychiatry. the pathological, persistent repetition of a word, gesture, or act, often associated with brain damage or schizophrenia.

My brother is a doctor and uses it to describe borderline obsessive fixations on details, like with the shoes.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.