Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Quirks

I've always been a magpie. I love shiny new part and spend a lot of time, effort, and money accumulating them. That's not what I'm referring to as quirky. I'm talking about how I tend to go most of the way and then fall short on the final details. For example, I just put a shiny new SRAM rear derailleur on my TT bike, then balked at putting a high end SRAM chain on the bike, opting instead for a 105 chain. I've got carbon aerobar extensions, but have been too cheap to buy a good torque wrench. I've had no problem buying Zipp wheels, but then quibble over $20-30 difference in tubular tires. I'm working on it, but I don't see progress coming any time soon. Last Saturday I put in 62, leaving me with 858 to go.

3 comments:

Mr. Flynn said...

I do the same thing. Maybe not to the extreme you do, but I am sure I would if I could.

Details are killing me with the tri. Little things like insulated cap, swim socks, aerobar set up, aerobottle, bento box....the list goes on and on. I was going to buy an aero helmet, but I decided not to spend the money. I should, but....I fear the wrath of my better half.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

"she said he rebuilds engines and his name is Earl, he's the Charlie Daniels of the Torque Wrench."

My new Snap-On (or as Tony likes to call them - Strap-On) torque wrench is in the mail. I am stoked about it.

Fish said...

I purchased a Pedro's model from QBP. It showed up today, so I'm excited to go torque some stuff.